Aluvia is a prescription medication produced by Abbott India Ltd. that contains a combination of two active substances, Lopinavir and Ritonavir. It comes in the form of a pack of 120 tablets, with each tablet containing 200 mg of Lopinavir and 50 mg of Ritonavir.
Aluvia is primarily used in the treatment of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. It is a protease inhibitor that works by blocking the action of a specific enzyme that the virus needs in order to multiply. Aluvia, when used in combination with other antiretroviral medications, can help to lower the amount of HIV in the blood and improve the immune system function.
HOW TO USE:
Aluvia should be taken exactly as directed by the doctor. The tablets should be swallowed whole with or without food. The dosage and duration of treatment will be determined by the doctor based on the patient’s age, medical history, and response to treatment.
Aluvia should be stored at room temperature, between 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F), in a dry and dark place. Ensure that the medication is kept out of reach of children and pets.
Mechanism of action:
Aluvia contains a combination of two protease inhibitors, Lopinavir and Ritonavir. They work by blocking the action of HIV protease, a specific enzyme that is needed for viral replication. By inhibiting this enzyme, Aluvia can prevent the virus from multiplying and spreading throughout the body.
– Aluvia should only be used under medical supervision and by individuals who have been prescribed the medication.
– Patients with a history of liver or kidney problems or allergies to Lopinavir or Ritonavir should inform their doctor before using Aluvia.
– Aluvia may interact with other medications and patients should inform their doctor if they are taking any prescription or over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
Aluvia is contraindicated for patients who:
– Have an allergy to Lopinavir or Ritonavir or any of their ingredients
– Have severe liver disease
– Are pregnant or breastfeeding
Aluvia may interact with other medications and affect their effectiveness or increase the risk of side effects. Patients should inform their doctor if they are taking any prescription or over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
In the event of an overdose, patients should seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an overdose may include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea.
Aluvia may cause side effects, which may vary in severity and depend on the duration of treatment. Common side effects include:
Less common but serious side effects may include:
– Liver problems
– Elevated cholesterol levels
– Elevated blood sugar levels
Patients should inform their doctor immediately if they experience any serious or persistent side effects.